The Do’s and Don’ts of everlasting beauty…for moms
Have you ever read a magazine article that told you how to look your best? These articles are filled with fashion and beauty tips on what to wear and how to enhance your best attributes. I am sure that they are written with the best of intentions, but I wonder, does any of it actually fit into your schedule? Or does it just add to your list of ‘stuff-that-you-really-should-do-but-don’t-have-the-time-or-money-at-the-moment’?
I have decided to write my own set of Dos and Don’ts to follow for busy mothers who want beauty tips that won’t add to your list of ‘stuff-to feel-guilty-about’. Perhaps adding some practical tips that will last a bit longer than fake eyelashes. Here we go:
1. Do use an effective, good quality facial cleanser, especially if you live in a polluted city like London. The cheap stuff will not do the job.
2. Do fill your mom-bag with products that can cover any lingering smell of happy meals, and a quick-fix facial brightener to make you look far less tired than you actually are.
3. Do carry tissues with you at all times. There are few things less appealing than a runny nose kid hanging off you and leaving dirty hand prints all over your clothes.
4. Don’t hold your pee for too long…it is not good for the skin.
5. Don’t starve yourself, thinking that this will make you feel or look better. How is that even possible? You will surely look miserable and feel starving. Not chic.
6. Do smile as you walk. It makes a world of difference to your complexion.
7. Do check every morning for chin hairs. They mysteriously pop-out of nowhere even if you have been diligently checking. (Credit to The British Beauty Blogger for this one)
8. Don’t call your mother in a moment of weakness to tell her that she was right, you should have married rich. This will not make you feel beautiful.
9. Do have confidence that you have made the right choices in your life.
10. Don’t lose the kids. Try accessorising with embroidered handcuffs or colourful scarves to keep them close.
11. Do stay out of the sun, or wear a hat if you want to age without age spots on your skin. (link)
12. Don’t even think about walking around the city in heels; bring comfortable shoes when you are in transit.
13. Don’t worry about not looking trendy during these commutes; you should know that anyone who is staring you down is simply trying to hide her excruciating pain from the blisters on her feet.
14. Don’t compete with other women, encourage each-other to succeed and be excellent.
15. Don’t get a puppy when you have a full-on job and an 8 year old full-on daughter. (This one may be just for me).
16. Do remember that you are good enough.
17. Do ignore anyone who says otherwise
18. Please don’t worry if you don’t any of the above,…..
Audrey Hepburn once said:
‘For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others
For beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness
And for poise, walk in the knowledge that you are never alone.’
Thank you for reading,
JT (Janet Tarasofsky)